It’s been quite the past 24 hours in the world of SAGA. As many of you probably heard yesterday, SAGA #12 was rejected by Apple from appearing in the Image Comics iOS app. Many other folks helped spread the word too.
So here we are on Wednesday, new comic book day, and you may be wondering, where can you get your hands on a copy of SAGA #12?
- Your local comic book store! There are thousands of copies of SAGA #12 being sold at amazing comic book stores around the world. Find a comic book store near you via the Comic Shop Locator or FindAComicShop.com
- Looking for SAGA #12 digitally? Use the Image Comics IOS app or Comixology? You can purchase SAGA #12 on the Image Comics Digital web store and then sync the issue to your device.
- You can also find SAGA #12 available in the Apple iBookstore
We hope that despite this little bump in the road for SAGA #12 digitally, you can find and enjoy the issue, it’s another great one from series creators Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples.
As has hopefully been clear from the first page of our first issue, SAGA is a series for the proverbial “mature reader.” Unfortunately, because of two postage stamp-sized images of gay sex, Apple is banning tomorrow’s SAGA #12 from being sold through any iOS apps. This is a drag, especially because our book has featured what I would consider much more graphic imagery in the past, but there you go. Fiona and I could always edit the images in question, but everything we put into the book is there to advance our story, not (just) to shock or titillate, so we’re not changing shit.
Apologies to everyone who reads our series on iPads or iPhones, but here are your alternatives for Wednesday:
1) Head over to you friendly neighborhood comics shop and pick up a physical copy of our issue that you can have and hold forever.
2) While you’re at it, don’t forget to support the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, which helps protect retailers who are brave enough to carry work that some in their communities might consider offensive. You can find signed copies of Saga at the CBLDF site right now.
3) Download the issue directly through sites like https://comics.imagecomics.com or on your non-Apple smartphone or tablet.
4) If all else fails, you might be able to find SAGA #12 in Apple’s iBookstore, which apparently sometimes allows more adult material to be sold than through its apps. Crazy, right?
Anyway, special thanks to Eric Stephenson and everyone at Image for supporting our decision, and for always being so supportive of creators. Sorry again to readers for the inconvenience, but I hope everyone will be able to find an issue that Fiona and I are particularly proud of. And after you do, please check out PanelSyndicate.com, the new digital comics site I own with artist Marcos Martin, which remains 100% uncensored by corporate overlords.
Image Comics adds: If you download the file, you can then sync it to your iOS device.
Last week in panels: MICE TEMPLAR: LEGEND #1 by Bryan J.L. Glass, Michael Avon Oeming, and Victor Santos
Image is publishing your fan art for one of our comics on Fridays!
This week’s title: SAGA by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples.
Issue #12, out this week, marks the end of the second arc of this phenomenally popular space opera. The series will be taking a break until August. (Don’t worry, though in the subsequent months there will be a trade and a secret project that will be revealed in the letters column of #12).
Submit your art on our Tumblr submission page by Friday, April 12, and be sure to use the hashtags #Image Fan Art Friday and #Saga!
SEX #1 READY FOR THIRD GO-’ROUND
Provocative first issue sells out of 2nd printing
SEX #1, the attention-grabbing first issue of a new Image Comics series by Joe Casey and Piotr Kowalski, has sold out of its second printing at the distributor level the same week as its release and will immediately receive a third printing, to be in stores on May 1.
SEX, the story of a former superhero who hangs up his cape to pursue the kind of life he had forbidden himself, burst onto the scene in early March, with an exclusive edition of the first issue available only at Emerald City Comicon in Seattle. Its first printing, in stores on March 6, sold out the same week as its release and prompted praise from critics:
“…for as much as this title begs for the attention of being called a porno mag disguised as a comic book, it refrains from titillation in favor of creating a fascinating character study amongst a fully realized neo-noir world.”
“For those looking for dazzling art and an interesting psychological drama, then definitely pick up Sex #1.”
- Bloody Disgusting
SEX #1’s third printing is available to order now (Diamond code FEB138534), and its second issue will be in stores on April 10.
Beautiful GLORY art by Naomi Fraquiz! http://franq-art.tumblr.com/
I jumped on the Glory train a little late in the game, and I’m sad to see it ending, but I couldn’t pass up the chance to take a shot at Glory and how amazing and wonderfully worked out her design, her character, and her story is in the new take with Joe Keatinge and Ross Campbell working it.
Our first GLORY fan art by I-am-Albie! Submit your art by Friday to appear on the Image Tumblr!
I am Albie says, “My favourite literally strong female characters. Including Glory <3”